Spicy Grilled Tomato with Asiago Cheese
- 2 large round Del Monte® tomatoes
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano leaf
- 3 teaspoons minced green onion
- ¼ cup chopped mild or hot giardiniera, depending on your desired
- level of spiciness. (giardiniera is an Italian style marinated pepper
- mix and is found in most grocery stores.)
- 2 teaspoons oil from the giardiniera
- 2 oz. Asiago cheese, grated (6 tablespoons)
- Remove the cores from the tomatoes without cutting away too much flesh. Cut the tomatoes in half through the equator (the middle of the tomato, not from stem to bottom). Gently squeeze the tomato halves so that the seeds fall out. (Squeezing too hard will damage the tomatoes.)
- Sprinkle the cut surfaces of the tomatoes with oregano, green onion, and giardiniera oil.
- Place the cut surfaces of the tomato halves on a very hot grill. Grill for 2 minutes, during which time some grill lines will develop.
- Turn the tomatoes over and place over low heat. Fill tomatoes with the giardiniera and top with cheese. Cover the grill. Cook for another 3-4 minutes or until the tomatoes begin to soften without falling apart.
Del Monte Fruits https://fruits.com/